In the event of failure the consequences are often costly and, in the worst case, can have catastrophic effects on the business. Failure cases can lead to the temporary breakdown of machines and facilities or even to serious accidents.
The suitability of a material for a specific requirement or environment and the clarification of a failure case is therefore an important issue. The many years of experience of our experts make it possible to identify failure mechanisms and work out solutions to prevent further failure together with you.
If necessary, we not only examine the individual component but also the entire process. This leads to a consolidated, comprehensive analysis, which we present to you in the form of a detailed PowerPoint presentation or a Word report, and additionally explain the findings in a face-to-face conversation. We will also be pleased to advise you on the selection of materials in order to avoid failure events in the future.
Our Services at a Glance
- Failure analysis and identification of mechanisms in the field of electrolytic corrosion and high temperature corrosion, creep/fatigue, friction/wear, changes in microstructure, hot cracking, welding defects
- Material-analytical and metallurgical investigations of failure cases
- Advice on materials selection
Equipment and Methods
- Scanning/transmission electron microscopy (SEM/TEM) with energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX)
- Electron Probe Microanalysis (EPMA)
- X-ray diffraction (XRD) for structural analysis including a Göbel mirror for characterisation of thin films and in-situ high temperature analysis up to 900°C
- Determination of hardness using low-load hardness testing or nano-indentation
- Confocal Raman microscopy
- Confocal laser scanning microscopy
- Tactile profilometer
- Atomic force microscopy (AFM)