- Friction-stir welding is used to obtain welded joints of different metals (e.g. Al / Mg or Al / steel).
- Galvanic corrosion can occur in the welding zone when using such connections
- Investigating the increased corrosion in the seam area in the case of different welded joints, also dependent on welding parameters
- Determination of Volta potential differences in the welding zone by means of a Scanning Kelvin Probe (SKP)
- Local electrochemical measurements (open circuit potential, current density-potential curves) on different spots of the welding seam using an electrochemical mini-cell
- SEM / EDX analysis to investigate the formation of intermetallic phases
- The risk of galvanic corrosion in the joining zone can be assessed as a function of the joining partners and parameters
- Correlation of the corrosion behaviour with the microstructure of the joining zone is possible